You and certain dependents are eligible to apply for Plan scholarships if you have been eligible for the Fund benefits for two consecutive years immediately preceding January 1st of the year in which the scholarship will be awarded. A break in eligibility of up to 90 days (180 days if break is due to disability and you are receiving either short-term disability or workers' compensation) will not be counted as a break in service with respect to the two consecutive year eligibility requirement which, if it was, would require the count to start again. However, it will also not count toward satisfying the two consecutive year requirement. Eligibility is based on employment status with employer. Member dues do not cover eligibility for the 32BJ Training Fund or the 32BJ Training Fund Scholarship program.
Dependents are eligible to apply for scholarships if they meet the requirements described.
If you are one of the following, you are not eligible to apply for scholarships for yourself or your dependents:
- Employees of the 32BJ Benefit Funds.
- Officers and employees of 32BJ SEIU, except for those represented by Local 153, OPEIU.
However, if your employment by 32BJ SEIU or the 32BJ Benefit Funds is part-time or temporary and you have a job (or are on leave from a job) with a covered employer which provides eligibility for the Fund, then you are eligible to apply.
As long as you are still eligible for scholarship benefits on January 1st, you are eligible to compete for a scholarship that year as long as you meet the applicant requirements. You are eligible to apply for yourself as well as for your eligible dependents.
As long as you are eligible for scholarship benefits on January 1st, certain of your dependents are eligible to compete for a scholarship that year. Note that spouses are not eligible. Each dependent applicant for a scholarship must meet the following conditions on January 1st of the year in which the scholarship will be awarded.
APPLICANT MUST BE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Your biological child.
- Your adopted child.
- Your niece, nephew or grandchild only if you are the legal guardian or legal custodian.
- Your stepchild (includes the biological or adopted child of your spouse).
- Note: Your foster child only if you have adopted the child
- The child must be dependent upon you and only you for all support and maintenance; if an application for legal guardianship is pending, you must provide documentation that papers are filed and provide proof when the legal process is complete. In the case of graduate and in some instances undergraduate scholarship applicants, they no longer need to be financially dependent on you but you must have proof that you were the applicant's legal guardian when he/she was under the age of maturity.
In order to establish eligibility for these benefits you will need to provide a marriage certificate from a state in the U.S. or province in Canada
The following must be true by the time of the scholarship award (which is when the first payment is made for the Fall semester):
Undergraduate - The Recipient Must:
- be a high school graduate (including those who have passed the GED test)
- be no older than 21 by December 31st of the scholarship award year, if recipient is other than you. There are no age restrictions when you are applying on your own behalf
- be accepted into a 4-year college or university program that leads to a bachelor's degree by December 31st of the scholarship award year
- have not completed more than four matriculated semesters towards that degree prior to the scholarship award.
Graduate - The Recipient Must:
- be no older than 26 by December 31st of the scholarship award year, if a dependent. There are no age restrictions when you are applying on your own behalf.
- be accepted into a program that leads to a graduate degree by December 31st of the scholarship award year.
- have not completed more than one matriculated semester of work toward that degree prior to scholarship award.
If a scholarship is awarded and you lose eligibility for the Fund benefits, the scholarship award will remain intact.
If you have received another scholarship that fully covers your tuition and related fees, you will not be eligible to receive our scholarship.